Saturday, December 17, 2005

What is it about cowboys?

Now Nicole is allegedly engaged to some country star no-one's ever heard of. This is now called "Doing a Renee". What is it about country and western singers? I know a lot about country music and I can't see it myself. My Dad took up C&W dancing when I was at a very impressionable age, and he used to leave the house with his stetson on and drive through our village kitted out in his gear. The shame. Admittedly he is bloody good, and I like to think I inherited his rhythm, he even made it into the local paper for his moves, but the music? I have endured hours and hours of C&W music when Dad used to drive me to University every other weekend after I went home for the weekend to see a feckless boy (who went on to dump me on Valentines day by a letter disguised as a card, how cruel). It's all "he left me with 7 bairns and a broken heart at Christmas" or "he loved me in the back of his station wagon or he said he did and I haven't seen him since" or even "I was brought up in the achy breaky mountains with nothing but goats for company"...

Now admittedly C&W does seem to be having a revival with good looking roughly shaven young men in tight jeans and stetsons, I can see the attraction, but Nicole? NO!! You tried rock with Lenny, you did crazy with Tom, you did super rich with Steve Bing now please pick someone out of the fame sphere, hey, even a local librarian might be the one for you?!

No comments:

Post a Comment