Thursday, June 02, 2005

Bonjour!!

Hee!! I'm off to Paris tomorrow for le weekend and although my French is GCSE level and never used in a real-life situation with proper French speaking people (why did my school never have trips apart from to Yorkshire?), I feel duty bound to practice my pigeon French on the poor people I meet. I can say "can I have a tea with milk please?" and ask where the nearest garage is as I have a flat tyre. So I should have no problems at all then. I have heard conflicting stories about French people (no offence meant mon ami) from refusing to speak English to poor English tourists clutching a guide book, to refusing to speak French altogether, but speaking English really well instead to prove the point. Hmm. I think with a cheery "Bonjour!" and a smile I should win their hearts over and get my tea and spare tyre with no problem. (Especially with too many croissants oui?!).

No comments:

Post a Comment