Thursday, September 23, 2010

Green fingered? Erm, no...

I have been trying to get to grips with my garden so it is all nice and tidy for winter. I chopped down my buddleia yesterday, and am now considering the conifers. But I have no idea what I am doing, I work on the principle of chopping bits off till the plants are much smaller. But in deference to my lack of knowledge I did a bit of online research, admittedly after I chopped the buddleia down. Apparently it will be ok, but in the spring I have to really go at it till it's a metre off the ground! No wonder it went wild this year, I only chopped off the big bits last year! Conifers, however, are a different thing altogether. Loads of sites give very detailed descriptions of how to prune them, with warnings about what would happen if it was done wrong. We did it last year on the "chop randomly" principle, and they seem to be ok. But they have grown back twice as much this year - I really need a gardener! Or someone to give me a crash course in gardening. It is a wonder my plants aren't all dead already.

And in my dream house that I will be living in sometime before I die, I will have a nice square garden with 6ft fences, a nice square lawn, and lots of pots on a patio that are easy to look after, and perhaps a greenhouse. Not a 100ft garden filled with flower beds that are weed magnets and trees that go mental!

No comments:

Post a Comment