Wednesday, October 26, 2005

The joys of working with a pessimist.

I thought I was bad. Until I met someone who literally sighs with relief when they survive another week unscathed. A colleague who shall remain nameless has a fascinating habit of obsessively scanning the online papers and declaring doom to all around on a daily basis. Last week she declared on Friday that she would be dead by Monday of the bird flu. When Monday came around she sheepishly turned up for week declaring that she still felt a “bit off”. Then there was the flu for real, despite having a flu jab. Trench foot from getting wet feet. Something nasty from going to bed too early or too late. And she has planned her escape if anything particularly nasty means they have to seal London off and stop people leaving.

Yes she has actually considered her options. For a wide array of nasty things that could happen. This is a peculiar trait, and I am being hugely entertained by it. And it makes me feel so much better. I am more a take it or leave it kind of girl, if your number’s up it’s a bummer but at least you haven’t spent the better part of your life worrying about it happening. Coz it’s coming to us all eventually. Ooh I’m starting to be a portent of doom now! Quick! To the vodka…

No comments:

Post a Comment