Monday, July 25, 2005

Pimp my Ride UK style...

Why why why?? Why take something as great as Pimp my Ride US style and bring it over here and make us all look like geeks?! I watched an episode last night and I was hiding behind my hands in horror. I can only hope they aren’t showing it in America, or we’ll all be laughing stocks. Firstly, the presenters. Xhibit is a cool guy, he can laugh at himself and the dodgy piles of metal that are presented as cars at the beginning of the show. He lets the other people do their stuff and can cope with crazed American teens throwing themselves at him. Now in the UK, we have got Westwood. Westwho?! I had only heard of him in the context that he was shot in a drive-by shooting and allegedly is a DJ. A TV presenter he ain’t. He is truly awful. Now I am sure he is very nice and in real life can be funny and entertaining. Whoever had the bright idea to have him front the show mustn’t have seen the original. Or they had a very small budget. But then, I could have done the job better. Hell, anyone could. Even my least favourite celeb, Tom Cruise.

Then we have the cars. American cars are much cooler. They have Cadillacs, dodgy monster truck type cars, and jeeps. We have Polos, Capris and Golfs. The team who do the cars up just don’t have the inspiration of their US counterparts, but then if I was faced with a dodgy Golf with it’s bumper hanging off and a load of fast food wrappers in the back, I’d be hard pressed too.

And what’s with the people having a load of rubbish in their cars? They never wash them either. They don’t deserve to be Pimped. They wouldn’t look after their new cars, in a month they’d have crashed them, covered the lovely interiors in rubbish and sold the DVD players that seem to have become standard in the Pimped cars. (Though this is standard to both US and UK versions).

And almost finally, the people being Pimped. UK teens just don’t get it. They look faintly excited at the thought of having their skips on wheels done up (presumably so they can sell them straightaway), and they just don’t do the over the top hysteria that makes the US version so funny.

And don’t get me started on Westwood’s attempts at Street. His dodgy hand signals, arm waving and attempts at cool ‘down with the kids’ slang is just embarrassing. They could at least have given him an introduction to street slang. That’s all I’m saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment