Tuesday, July 19, 2005

It's all gone a bit Potty

So, I won the "discussion" and am currently reading Harry Potter. It’s very good so far, a bit scary, but for the life of me I can’t remember what happened in the last one. That’s the trouble with having such a long time between books, when you know there’s one due out you should really speed read the previous books so you know what happened. Then there’s this weird psychological urge to read it as quickly as possible so you won’t find out what happens accidentally. Maybe it’s just me being a freak.

In the news before it was released, there were stories about schools banning Harry Potter events as they were likely to lead innocent young children into witchcraft and all kinds of evil doings. Honestly! Is there no room for imagination anymore? When I was young I read all kinds of books about magic and dragons and fairies (do you see them banning Enid Blyton?) and I learnt to tell the difference between fact and fiction. See - I have a brain. I know I haven’t seen any dragons out on my travels, and much as I’d like to turn my mortgage adviser into a toad, I know it’s not possible. There’s always fuddy-duddy spoilsports trying to ban everything for our own protection. They are the kind of people who run jumble sales and neighbourhood watches – mainly so they get to know what’s going on and who to demonise next – that lady who buys woolly sweaters and looks a bit shifty, she’s a witch!! Burn her!!

Hmm, do you think my current attitude is directly linked to house buying? You know, I think it just might be. When can I have my sanity and sense of humour back?

1 comment:

  1. Do you know what Mr Librarian did last Sunday when we were walking up the high street? Ran into a bookshop, and read the last page of the new HP. Oh dear.

    I haven't bothered with the new HP yet for the reason you mention, I have no idea what happened in the last one. (Apart from the whole Harry vs The Bad Guy thing). I read it in Russia, so my mind was only half on the story (the other half was pickled in vodka) and then swapped it for another book in Thailand. So I can't re-read it, and I daren't take it out of the public library as the librarian will (quiet rightly) see me as a loser.

    ReplyDelete