Thursday, November 17, 2005

New glasses?

I finally bit the bullet and dragged my butt into a spectacle shop yesterday afternoon. The pair I have now are scratched to buggery and I must have been wearing them for the past 4 years. I never clean them either, imagine all the muck in between the frames and the glass. Ugh. If I’d have thought of that sooner I might have had new specs before now.

Anyway for people who don’t have to wear them, buying new glasses is a terrible TERRIBLE chore. You have to first get past the trauma of having to wear glasses at all – when I was younger my mum, (who was in charge back in those days), bought me awful giant blue framed, hexagon shaped things. Think of Deirdre Barlow and you’ll get what I’m talking about. I realise now why I never had a boyfriend at school. And don’t get me started on the poodle perm she made me have either. Anyway, once you’ve resigned yourself to having to wear them, you then have to try and find a pair that suit you, with the whole world and all the shop assistants sniggering at you when you try on a really bad pair (oh yes I’m paranoid alright).

But yesterday I must have been in a parallel universe. I tried on one pair which I immediately really liked. This never happens, I usually lose heart by the 6th pair and leg it. Who needs to see anyway? But this time I got caught by a male assistant who was camp as you like. He proceeded to take me round the whole shop trying pretty much every pair they had on, with a running commentary exclaiming "Ooh they really suit you! Ooh not those ones! Ugh DEFINITELY not those ones!” It was like Glasses Idol, we eventually narrowed it down to 6 pairs, then 3, then the ones I'd tried on first won! Hurray! And to top it all off, the runner up pair came free!

In the immortal words of John Hurt: “I can see! I can see!”.

1 comment:

  1. The really agonizing thing about new glasses is the knowledge that the decision is going to determine what you look like for the next long while. I had corrective laser surgery on my eyes some years back, so this has been one less thing to worry about.

    ReplyDelete